Fort Edward is a town in and the county seat of Washington County, New York, United States. It is part of the Glens Falls Metropolitan Statistical Area. The town population was 6,371 at the 2010 census.
The town is located at the "Great Carrying Place," a portage around the falls on the Hudson, which had been used by Native Americans for thousands of years before European colonization. It was located on the Native American "Great War Path," later used by French and English colonists during their own warfare, during the colonial years, especially during the eighteenth century.
During the French and Indian War (1754-1763), General Phineas Lyman constructed Fort Lyman here in 1755. It was renamed Fort Edward in 1756 by Sir William Johnson, the British Superintendent for Indian Affairs in the region, in honor of Prince Edward, the grandson of King George II. Edward was a younger brother of the later King George III.
The town of Fort Edward was established in 1818. In 1849, the community of Fort Edward set itself off from the town by incorporating as a village.
The Fort Edward D&H Train Station, Fort Miller Reformed Church Complex, St. James Episcopal Church (Fort Edward, New York), Rogers Island, Old Fort House, and Wing-Northup House are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.