Place:Fort Ann, Washington, New York, United States

Watchers


NameFort Ann
TypeVillage
Coordinates43.415°N 73.49°W
Located inWashington, New York, United States
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Fort Ann is a village in Washington County, New York, United States. It is part of the Glens Falls Metropolitan Statistical Area. The village population was 471 at the 2000 census. The name is derived indirectly from Queen Anne and the local fortification built in 1857 and named after her.

The village of Fort Ann is part of the town of Fort Ann at the junction of US Route 4 and New York State Route 149.

History

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

The area was the location of several military forts, built from 1690 to 1777. The first was constructed during King Williams War and the last during the American Revolution. Two early forts were called "Fort Schuyler" and the "Queen's Fort.' Also Fort Ann was the site of the 1777 Battle of Fort Anne during the Saratoga Campaign.

The village was incorporated in 1820. The Champlain Canal, completed in 1823, passes through the village. Later, the Delaware & Hudson Railroad came.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Fort Ann (village), New York. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.