Place:Forncett-St. Peter, Norfolk, England

NameForncett-St. Peter
Alt namesForncett St Petersource:
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates52.491°N 1.188°E
Located inNorfolk, England     ( - 1935)
See alsoDepwade Hundred, Norfolk, Englandhundred in which it was located
Depwade Rural, Norfolk, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1935
Forncett, Norfolk, Englandcivil parish into which it was absorbed in 1935
South Norfolk District, Norfolk, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Forncett-St. Peter from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

FORNCETT-ST. PETER, a parish in Depwade [registration] district, Norfolk; near Forncett [railway] station, 2½ miles W of Long Stratton. Post town: Forncett, under Long Stratton. Acres: 1,828. Real property: £4,855; of which £69 are on the railway. Population: 665. Houses: 148. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value: £587. Patron: the Earl of Effingham. The church is good; and there are chapels for Baptists and Primitive Methodists, a national school, and town-lands with £10 a year.

A Vision of Britain through Time seems to equate Forncett-St. Peter to the later civil parish of Forncett, but does not explain why. However, Forncett railway station was built at Forncett-St. Peter rather than at Forncett-St. Mary. In 1935 the two Forncett parishes were abolished as civil parishes and combined into Forncett.

Research Tips

  • GENUKI provides a list of references for Forncett-St. Peter. Some entries lead to free online transcriptions of registers and censuses.
  • GENUKI also advises that the following lists for Norfolk are to be found in FamilySearch: