The Town of Forestport is located in the northeast corner of Oneida County. The northern part of the town is in the Adirondack Park.
Forestport was created from the Town of Remsen in 1869.
At the end of the 19th century, many of the town's population were found to be involved in a conspiracy to divert funds set aside for canal repair for the Black River Canal. Sections of the Black River Canal were actually dynamited so as to profit from repair work, infamously known as the "Forestport Breaks".
The town population in 1920 was 862.