Place:Great Waltham, Essex, England

Watchers
NameGreat Waltham
Alt namesWaldhamsource: Domesday Book (1985) p 106
Walthamsource: Domesday Book (1985) p 106
TypeCivil parish
Coordinates51.8°N 0.433°E
Located inEssex, England
See alsoChelmsford Rural, Essex, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1974
Chelmsford (district), Essex, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Great Waltham — also known as Church End — is a village and a parish in the Chelmsford District, in the county of Essex. It has a guildhall called Great Waltham Guildhall. It is a few miles away from the city of Chelmsford. There is a large house called Langley's which has existed for over 300 years and is surrounded by a deer park, although the parkland is actually used for cattle grazing.

The parish also consists of the village of Ford End, and four hamlets – Howe Street, Littley Green, North End and Broads Green.

Great Waltham is on Walthambury Brook. The village of Little Waltham is located about a mile away.

The parish was part of the Chelmsford Rural District from 1894 until 1974, and since 1974 it has been located in the Chelmsford District or Borough.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Great Waltham. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.