The Charter Township of Flint is a charter township of Genesee County in the U.S. state of Michigan. The population was 31,929 at the 2010 census. The City of Flint is adjacent to the township on the east, but is administratively autonomous.
Wayne County was formed within the Northwest Territory covering the Lower Peninsula. The Saginaw Valley Treaty was signed with the Chippewa Indians in 1819. In 1836, the Pewanigo tribe of the Saginaw Indians sign a treaty with the US government that gave all remaining land in Genesee County for 13 sections of land west of the Mississippi River with the land to be sold for the Indians' benefits.
On March 9, 1833, the Township of Grand Blanc was organized which then included Flint Township survey area and many of the other survey township areas of the future Genesee County. The first permanent settlers in the area were Elijah Carmen and his family, who arrived in 1835. Flint Township was organized on March 2, 1836 and included the township areas of Burton, Clayton, Flushing, Mt. Morris, Genesee, Thetford, Vienna and Montrose. Jesse Torrey and his family, the second settlers, move to section 24 starting the Torrey Settlement in 1836. That same year, William N. Stanard founded the Stanard Settlement on section 35.
On March 11, 1837, Vienna Township was organized to include the future townships of Montrose and Thetford. James W. Cronk in 1837 settled on sections 7 and 8 lending his name to the settlement there.
Genesee and Flushing Townships where split off on March 6, 1838. In 1838 the first schoolhouse was built in Flint Township in Section 23 on the bank of Swartz Creek. As many as ten school districts were created within the township, some of which later merged, and the Township is primarily served by Carman-Ainsworth.
On April 19, 1839, Kearsley Township was split off from Flint Township until March 7, 1843 when it was merged back into Flint Township. Clayton separated from Flint on March 25, 1846. In 1855, Burton Township on October 12 separated from the Township and the now City of Flint was incorporated, thus splitting its area from the Township. The Township was then temporarily known as Garland Township after Burton was split off on October 12, 1855 to February 5, 1856.
In 1953, the Township began incorporation discussions with the City of Westhaven, but that possibility was later defeated. The Township lost the Otterburn area to the City of Swartz Creek upon its incorporation in 1959. After the City of Flint annexed the GM Van Slyke plant, the Township place on the ballot an incorporation question that would have made it the City of Grandview Heights. Another item on the ballot was the election of a mayor for the new city. The incorporation question failed, while the then Township Supervisor Tom Mansour won the mayoral election. In August 1970, Genesee Valley Center opened at Miller and Linden Roads.