- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "FIRBY, a township in Westow parish, [East Riding of] Yorkshire; on the river Derwent and the Scarborough railway, 4¼ miles SW of Malton. Population: 51. Houses: 7. Firby Hall is the seat of the Harrisons."
Prior to the nationwide municipal reorganization of 1974, Firby was located in Norton Rural District. Historically, it was located in the ecclesiastical parish of Westow in the Buckrose Wapentake.