|Alt names||Feresbi||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 315|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||West Riding of Yorkshire, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||North Yorkshire, England (1974 - )|
|Yorkshire, England |
|See also||Claro Wapentake, West Riding of Yorkshire, England||hundred in which it was located|
|Wharfedale Rural, West Riding of Yorkshire, England||rural district in which it was situated 1894-1974|
|Harrogate District, North Yorkshire, England||administrative district covering the area since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Fewston is a village and civil parish in the Harrogate District of North Yorkshire, England. It is situated north of Otley and close to Swinsty and Fewston reservoirs.
The Church of St Michael and St Lawrence is the village church. The majority of the building was constructed in 1697, although the tower dates from the 14th century.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Fewston.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Fewston from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "FEWSTON, a township, a parish, and a [registration] sub-district in Otley [registration] district, [West Riding of] Yorkshire. The township lies on the river Washburn, in Knaresborough forest, 4¼ miles SSW of Darley [railway] station, and 6 N of Otley. Acres: 1,760. Real property: £1,950. Population in 1851: 399; in 1861: 496. Houses: 100. The increase of population arose from the opening of a large silk mill.
- "The parish contains also the townships of Blubberhouses, Great Timble, and Clifton-with-Norwood; the first of which has a post office under Otley. Acres: 16,584. Rated property, £8,235. Population: 1,485. Houses: 313. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage, united with the [perpetual] curacy of Thurcross, in the diocese of Ripon. Value: £150. Patron: the Lord Chancellor. The parish church has a square tower, and is good. The church of Thurcross is small. There is also a new chapelry of Blubberhouses, with [perpetual] curate; but no statistics of it, either civil or ecclesiastical, are returned. There are three Wesleyan chapels, a Primitive Methodist chapel, two public schools, and charities £36."