Place:Fenton (township), Genesee, Michigan, United States

Watchers


NameFenton (township)
Alt namesFenton Township
Fentonsource: WeRelate abbreviation
TypeTownship
Located inGenesee, Michigan, United States
Contained Places
Inhabited place
Lakeside
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Fenton Charter Township is a charter township of Genesee County in the U.S. state of Michigan. The population was 15,552 at the 2010 census.

History

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

The township land was initially a part of Grand Blanc Township and then of Argentine Township until the spring of 1838 when it was separately organized. Clark Dibble, a pioneer from New York, was the first white settler to purchase land in the township, in March 1834. Other settlers followed and in 1837, William M. Fenton and Robert LeRoy bought land, a sawmill and water rights from Dibble, who moved elsewhere. Fenton and LeRoy had the settlement, then known as Dibbleville, platted. According to local legend, Fenton and LeRoy decided who would name the town in a game of poker. The town would be named after the winner and the main street after the loser. Fenton won and the town was known as Fentonville. The town was incorporated as the Village of Fenton in 1863. In 1871, Village of Linden was incorporated from area in the center of the township. The Township became a Charter Township in 1980.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Fenton Township, Michigan. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.