|Alt names||Fen Stanton||source: NIMA, GEOnet Names Server (1996-1998)|
|Fen-Stanton||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Stantone||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 141|
|Located in||Huntingdonshire, England ( - 1965)|
|Also located in||Huntingdon and Peterborough, England (1965 - 1974)|
|Cambridgeshire, England (1974 - )|
|See also||St Ives, Huntingdonshire, England||municipal borough in which it was located 1889-1974|
|St Ives Rural, Huntingdonshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1889-1974|
|Huntingdonshire District, Cambridgeshire, England||district municipality of which it has been part since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Fenstanton is a village and civil parish two miles south of St Ives, lying on the south side of the River Ouse. Another village, Hemingford Grey, is close by. Fenstanton was in Huntingdonshire, England until 1965, and is now part of the Huntingdonshire administrative district of Cambridgeshire. For the years 1889 to 1894 it was part of St Ives Municipal Borough. In 1894 it became a civil parish in St Ives Rural District. Within Cambridgeshire it is part of the Huntingdonshire administrative district.
Known as Stantun in the 11th century, Staunton and Stanton Gisbrit de Gant in the 13th century, the name Fenstanton (and Fennystanton) appeared from the 14th century. The name "Fenstanton" means "fenland stone enclosure".
The village is the ancestral home of John Howland, one of the Pilgrims who arrived on the Mayflower in 1620 at Plymouth, Massachusetts.
In the 18th century Lancelot "Capability" Brown, the famous landscape gardener, bought the Lordship of the Manor of Fenstanton and Hilton from the Earl of Northampton. Brown and his wife are buried in the parish churchyard and the chancel bears a memorial to them.
- Original historical documents relating to Huntingdonshire are held by Cambridgeshire Archives and Local Studies at the County Record Office in Huntingdon.
- A History of the County of Huntingdon in 3 volumes from British History Online (Victoria County Histories), published 1911. This is by far the most complete history of the parishes of the county to be found online. The chapters are ordered by the divisions of the county called hundreds, but each chapter is linked to the volume's content page.
- GENUKI has a page on Huntingdonshire and pages for each of the ecclesiastical parishes in the county. These give references to other organizations who hold genealogical information for the local area.
- The FamilyTree Wiki has a series of pages similar to those provided by GENUKI which may have been prepared at a later date.
- A Vision of Britain through Time, section "Units and Statistics" leads to analyses of population and organization of the county from about 1800 through 1974. There are pages available for all civil parishes, municipal boroughs and other administrative divisions.
- Map of Huntingdonshire divisions in 1888 produced by UK Ordnance Survey and provided online by A Vision of Britain through Time
- Map of Huntingdonshire divisions in 1944 produced by UK Ordnance Survey and provided online by A Vision of Britain through Time