Place:Whickham, Durham, England

Alt namesFellsidesource: settlement in parish
Lowsidesource: settlement in parish
Swallwellsource: settlement in parish
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish, Urban district
Coordinates54.946°N 1.673°W
Located inDurham, England     ( - 1974)
Also located inTyne and Wear, England    
See alsoChester Ward, Durham, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Borough of Gateshead, Tyne and Wear, Englandmetropolitan district covering the area since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog

the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Whickham is a town in northeast England, 5 miles (8.0 km) southwest of Newcastle upon Tyne, and is situated on high ground overlooking the River Tyne. In 2011, it had a population of 16,652 according to the UK census of that year.

Whickham was an ancient parish in the Chester Ward of County Durham. It was made a civil parish in the 19th century and became an urban district in 1894, a status it held until 1974. In 1974 the county of Tyne and Wear was formed and this part of County Durham was transferred to the new county. Since 1974 Whickham has been part of the Borough of Gateshead metropolitan district.

Although as an urban district Whickham transferred land to and from other neighbouring parishes, it did not absorb any outright. The ancient parish included the townships of Swallwell, Lowsideand Fellside. None of these became civil parishes and have hence been redirected here.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Whickham from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"WHICKHAM, a township and a parish in Gateshead [registration] district, Durham. The township lies near the influx of the Derwent to the Tyne, 1¾ mile S of Scotswood [railway] station, and 3½ WSW of Gateshead; contains a village of its own name; is a polling place; and has a post-office under Gateshead. Real property: £3,358; of which £100 are in mines. Population in 1851: 910; in 1861: 1,277. Houses: 259.
"The parish contains also Swallwell, Low-side, and Fellside townships; comprises 5,905 acres of land, and 88 of water; and forms a [registration] sub-district. Population in 1851: 5,565; in 1861: 5,921. Houses: 997. The manor belongs to Lord Ravensworth, Sir W. Clavering, and J. Bowes, Esq. Gibside House is the seat of W. Hutt, Esq.; and its grounds contain a Doric pillar 140 feet high. Dunston Lodge is a lunatic asylum, and serves provisionally for Cumberland and Westmoreland. There are iron-works, nailand chain factories, wire-works, chemical-works, saw-mills, roperies, fire-brick kilns, extensive coke ovens, and several coal staiths. A stratum of burnt earth is near the village; is said to have resulted from the slow combustion of a seam of coal; and is used for making ornamental paths. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham. Value: £663. Patron: the Lord Chancellor. The church, excepting the S wall and the tower, was rebuilt in 1862. A chapel of ease is at Gibside; schoolrooms are used as places of worship in three other places; and there are four dissenting chapels, a mechanics' institute, an endowed school with £25 a year, several other schools, and charities £61."

Research Tips

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Whickham. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.