According to A History of Brierley by Richard Watson, Felkirk was a parish formed before the Norman Conquest to serve the north east of Staincross Wapentake. Its parish had a boundary of about eighteen miles. In 1317, it was decided that the neighbouring manor of Brierley should form part of the parish of Felkirk.
In 1841 the parish of Felkirk contained the settlements of Havercroft, Cold Hiendley, and Hodroyd, which is another name for Felkirk. The remains of the old village of Felkirk can be seen in the field to the west of the road opposite Hodroyd Hall.
When civil parishes were established--the usual date was 1866--Brierley appears to have been chosen over Felkirk as the name of the district civil parish. Felkirk (according to Google Earth) appears to be a farm within South Hiendley.
Research Tips[[Category:Barnsley (metropolitan borough), South Yorkshire, England|]]