Place:Faulkbourne, Essex, England

Alt namesFalcheburnasource: Domesday Book (1985) p 101
Faulkbournsource: 19th century
TypeCivil parish
Coordinates51.817°N 0.6°E
Located inEssex, England
See alsoBraintree Rural, Essex, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1974
Braintree (district), Essex, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog

Faulkbourne is a civil parish in the Braintree District of Essex, about 2 miles (3 km) north-west of Witham. The parish was part of the Braintree Rural District from 1894 until 1974.

The parish church, along this those of Fairstead & White Notley are administered by the Rector of Terling.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Faulkbourne from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"FAULKBOURN, a parish in Witham [registration] district, Essex; on the river Brain, adjacent to the Braintree railway, 2½ miles NW of Witham. It has a post office under Witham. Acres: 1,151. Real property: £2,139. Population: 143. Houses: 31. The manor belonged to Hamo Dapifer, and went to the Fortescues. Faulkbourn Hall, now the seat of the Rev. W. T. Bullock, was originally built in 1440, by Sir R. Montgomery; retains a Norman tower, with polygonal turrets, having pyramidal crocketted canopies and bartisans; forms, on the west of the entrance-tower, three sides of a quadrangle; contains a fine collection of pictures by Vandyke, Vandervelde, and Beechy: and is said to occupy the site of a Roman villa. A cedar here has a girth of 18½ feet. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value: £267. Patron: the Rev. W. T. Bullock. The church is Norman; 1ias two brasses of the 16th century; and is good. Charities, £7."

Research Tips