|Alt names||Farnley-Tyas||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Fereleia||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 315|
|Ferlei||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 315|
|Located in||West Riding of Yorkshire, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||West Yorkshire, England (1974 - )|
|Yorkshire, England |
|See also||Thurstonland and Farnley Tyas, West Riding of Yorkshire, England||urban district of which it was part 1925-1938|
|Kirkburton, West Riding of Yorkshire, England||urban district into which part was absorbed 1938-1974|
|Holmfirth, West Riding of Yorkshire, England||urban district into which part was absorbed 1938-1974|
|Kirklees, West Yorkshire, England||district municipality of which it has been part since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Farnley Tyas has been since 1974 a small village in West Yorkshire, England 3 miles (4.8 km) south east of Huddersfield in the metropolitan district of Kirklees. It is located on a hilltop between Almondbury, Castle Hill, Thurstonland and Honley. It is mostly rural with farmland. Ecclesiastically it is part of the Parish of Almondbury with Farnley Tyas.
Farnley Tyas was a township until 1894 when it was made an urban district. In 1925 it was merged with the neighbouring Thurstonland Urban District to become Thurstonland and Farnley Tyas Urban District. This was abolished in 1938 under a County Review Order, with the majority of the district merging into the Kirkburton Urban District and the remainder into the Holmfirth Urban District.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Farnley Tyas from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "FARNLEY-TYAS, a township-chapelry in Almondbury parish, [West Riding of] Yorkshire; 1½ mile E by N of Berry-Brow [railway] station, and 4 SE by S of Huddersfield. It contains the hamlets of Farnley-Hey and Woodsome-Lees. Post town, Almondbury, under Huddersfield. Acres: 1,623. Real property: £2,307. Population: 702. Houses: 151. Buildingstone and coal are worked. The living is a [perpetual] curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value: £100. Patron: the Earl of Dartmouth. The church is good."