Farnborough is a town in north east Hampshire, England, part of the borough of Rushmoor and the Aldershot Urban Area. Farnborough was founded in Saxon times and is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086. The name is formed from Ferneberga which means "fern hill".
Name changes: Ferneberga (11th century); Farnburghe, Farenberg (13th century); Farnborowe, Fremborough, Farneborough (16th century).
Tower Hill, Cove: There is substantial evidence that many years ago a large accumulation of Sarsen stones existed upon what later came to be known as Tower Hill. To this day well over 1,000 of these stones remain, sized from one or two ton down to loaf size, scattered, reused for many different purposes, but still within a short distance of their probable original site.
The town is the home of St. Michael's Abbey. The Imperial Crypt there is the resting place of Napoleon III (1808–1873), Emperor of the French, and his wife, Eugénie de Montijo, (1826–1920) and their son, Napoléon, Prince Imperial. Since 2007 the Abbey has been the home of the Catholic National Library.
St Peter's Church
The River Blackwater on the Hampshire/Surrey border was the location of the first international prize fight between Tom Sayers and John C. Heenan, which took place near the location of the Ship Inn pub.
Closely associated with Farnborough Airfield, situated between Farnborough and Fleet, is Samuel Franklin Cody. Cody, or Col Sam Cody as he was known, was one of the early pioneers of aviation. He died when he crashed his plane on Ball Hill, a site which is now within Qinetiq's Technology Park. A statue is to be unveiled on the 100th anniversary of his death, 7 August 2013. The statue is sited outside the FAST museum, home of the Farnborough Air Sciences Trust, surrounded by commemorative paving paid for by supporters.
Farnborough Airfield is the site of the historic Royal Aircraft Establishment (RAE).
Part of the old RAE, Farnborough's historic wind tunnels are now listed buildings, two in particular preserved. The first built in 1917 and the other, much larger, in 1935. The latter was used extensively for research into Concorde aerodynamics, Formula 1 cars until its closure in the early 1990s. The tunnels are hosting an art installation, open to the public in June and July 2014 until the end of the Farnborough International Airshow.
Sir Frank Whittle
The Tumble Down Dick
An inn, The Tumble Down Dick Pub has been present on the A325 Farnborough Road since the 17th Century. It was reputedly connected to Richard Cromwell, and was the central focus of the town before its 19th century refocus toward North Camp and the town centre proper's 20th century development. The pub closed in 2008 and was designated an "Asset of Community Value" in 2013 after local protest over a request for planning permission by McDonald's. Permission was granted for the site's conversion to a McDonald's restaurant on 9 October 2013.