Place:Falstone, Northumberland, England

TypeChapelry, Parish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates55.183°N 2.417°W
Located inNorthumberland, England
See alsoTynedale Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient division in which it was located
Simonburn, Northumberland, Englandparish out of which it was formed in 1811
Plashetts and Tynehead, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish into which it was part transferred in 1866
Wellhaugh, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish into which it was part transferred in 1866
Bellingham Rural, Northumberland, Englandrural district of which it was part 1955-1974
Tynedale District, Northumberland, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area 1974-2009
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog

the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Falstone is a small village in a very large civil parish in Northumberland, England, just south of Kielder Water. The village is 8 miles (13 km) from the border with Scotland. It had a population of 257 in the UK census of 2011.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Falstone from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"FALSTONE, a village and a parish in Bellingham [registration] district, Northumberland. The village stands on the North Tyne river, adjacent to the Border Counties railway, 8 miles NW of Bellingham; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Hexham. The parish includes the townships of Wellhaugh, Plashetts, and Tynehead. Acres: 57,600. Real property: £5,621. Population in 1851: 562; in 1861: 1,016. Houses: 141. The increase of population arose from the opening of the railway. The parish was formed out of Simonburn in 1811. The property is not much divided. The surface includes some valley-land, but is mainly moorish and mountainous. Game abounds; coal is plentiful; and there are several mineral springs. Numerous traces exist of strongholds of the ancient Britons; and there is a complete specimen of a border peel. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham. Value: £320. Patrons: the Governors of Greenwich Hospital. The church is good; and there is an English Presbyterian chapel. A man lived here in last century, who was born without hands or feet."

Falstone was a chapelry in Simonburn until 1811 when it became an ancient and a civil parish. It lost its status as a civil parish in 1866 when it was divided between the newly formed civil parishes of Plashetts and Tynehead and Wellhaugh which had previously been townships of Falstone. It was reinstated as a civil parish in 1955 or 1958 (sources differ) from the same parishes which, by then, had been reduced in size. From that time until 1974 Falstone was part of Bellingham Rural District. In 1974 rural districts were abolished and the parish became part of the Tynedale District until 2009 when Northumberland became a unitary authority.

The parts of Plashetts and Tynehead and Wellhaugh which did not return to Falstone in 1955 were transferred to the newly created civil parish of Kielder which covered the Kielder Forest.

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Falstone. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.