Place:Fallowfield, Northumberland, England

TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates55.0097°N 2.1158°W
Located inNorthumberland, England     ( - 1955)
See alsoLee St. John, Northumberland, Englandancient parish in which it was a township
Tynedale Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Hexham Rural, Northumberland, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1955
Wall, Northumberland, Englandparish into which it was absorbed in 1955
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Fallowfield from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"FALLOWFIELD, a township in St. John Lee parish, Northumberland; near the Roman wall, 3¼ miles N of Hexham. Population: 43. Houses: 10. A rich vein of lead ore is here. Fallowfield fell commands a fine view; was quarried for the Roman wall; and has a Roman inscription on a grey stone, called the Written Rock."

Fallowfield was originally a township in the ancient parish of Lee St. John. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1955 it was part of Hexham Rural District. In 1955 was absorbed into the neighbouring parish of Wall.

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.