|Alt names||Fallowden||source: alternate spelling|
|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England ( - 1955)|
|See also||Embleton, Northumberland, England||ancient parish of which it was part|
|Bamburgh Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient division in which it was located|
|Alnwick Rural, Northumberland, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1955|
|Newton by the Sea, Northumberland, England||civil parish into which it was absorbed in 1955|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Fallodon is a hamlet situated in Northumberland, England. It is the territorial designation of Viscount Grey of Fallodon. It is pronounced with the emphasis on the second syllable.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Fallodon from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "FALLOWDEN, a township in Embleton parish, Northumberland; 6½ miles NNE of Alnwick. Acres: 1,024. Population: 104. Houses: 19. Fallowden House belonged formerly to the Woods, and belongs now to Sir George Grey, Bart. An ilex-tree [holly] here has a girth of 11 feet in the stem."
As stated above, Fallodon was part of the ancient parish of Embleton. From 1894 until 1955 it was part of Alnwick Rural District. In 1955 the civil parish was abolished and it was absorbed into the nearby parish of Newton by the Sea.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
Categories: Northumberland, England | Fallodon, Northumberland, England | Embleton, Northumberland, England | Bamburgh Ward, Northumberland, England | Alnwick Rural, Northumberland, England | Newton by the Sea, Northumberland, England