Place:Astwell and Falcott, Northamptonshire, England

NameAstwell and Falcott
Alt namesAstwellsource: hamlet in parish
Falcottsource: hamlet in parish
Falcotsource: hamlet in parish, variant spelling
Falcuttsource: hamlet in parish, variant spelling
TypeCivil parish
Located inNorthamptonshire, England     ( - 1935)
See alsoWappenham, Northamptonshire, Englandcivil parish in which it was located until 1866
Brackley Rural, Northamptonshire, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1935
Helmdon, Northamptonshire, Englandcivil parish into which it was absorbed in 1935
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog

Astwell and Falcott was located in Brackley Rural District in Northamptonshire, England from 1894 until 1935. In 1935 it was absorbed into Helmdon civil parish.


A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Astwell from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"ASTWELL, a hamlet in Wappenham parish, Northampton; on an affluent of the river Tove, 6 miles NNE of Brackley. Real property, with Falcutt: £2,465. Population: 83. Houses: 12. The property belonged formerly to the Billing, the Lovett, and the Ferrers families, and belongs now to the Duke of Buckingham. The old seat of the Earl of Ferrers still stands, and is now used as a farmhouse. The hamlet is a resort of sportsmen."


Varying spellings: Falcot, Falcott, Falcutt. Assumed to be an even smaller hamlet than Astwell. (redirected here).