Place:Ewart, Northumberland, England

TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates55.579°N 2.058°W
Located inNorthumberland, England
See alsoDoddington, Northumberland, Englandancient parish in which it was a township
Glendale Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Glendale Rural, Northumberland, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1974
Coupland, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish which it part absorbed in 1955
Lanton, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish which it absorbed in 1955
Berwick upon Tweed District, Northumberland, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area 1974-2009
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Ewart from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"EWART, a township in Doddington parish, Northumberland; between the rivers Till a Glen, 4 miles NNW of Wooler. Acres: 1,512. Population: 133. Houses: 26. Ewart Park is the seat of Sir Horace St. Paul, Bart."

Ewart was originally a township in the ancient parish of Doddington, Northumberland. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1974 it was part of Glendale Rural District. In 1955 it absorbed part of the civil parish of Coupland and the whole of Lanton. In 1974 rural districts were abolished and Ewart became part of the Berwick upon Tweed District until 2009 when Northumberland became a unitary authority.

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.