Place:Everthorpe, East Riding of Yorkshire, England

Watchers
NameEverthorpe
Alt namesEuertorpsource: Domesday Book (1985) p 306
TypeInhabited place
Coordinates53.767°N 0.626°W
Located inEast Riding of Yorkshire, England     ( - 1974)
Also located inYorkshire, England    
Humberside, England     (1974 - 1996)
East Riding of Yorkshire, England     (1996 - )
See alsoNorth Cave, East Riding of Yorkshire, Englandcivil parish of which it is a part
Howden Rural, East Riding of Yorkshire, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names


Everthorpe is a hamlet in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. It is situated approximately 11 miles (18 km) west of Hull city centre and 10 miles (16 km) east of the market town of Howden, midway between the villages of North Cave and South Cave. It lies 1 mile (1.6 km) north of the A63 road and 1 mile (1.6 km) west of the A1034 road.

It forms part of the civil parish of North Cave in what was the Howden Rural District from 1894 to 1974. From 1866 to 1935 the civil parish was known as North Cave with Everthorpe and Drewton.

In 1974 most of what had been the East Riding of Yorkshire was joined with the northern part of Lincolnshire to became a new English county named Humberside. The urban and rural districts of the former counties were abolished and Humberside was divided into non-metropolitan districts. The new organization did not meet with the pleasure of the local citizenry and Humberside was wound up in 1996. The area north of the River Humber was separated into two "unitary authorities"—Kingston-upon-Hull covering the former City of Hull and its closest environs, and the less urban section which, once again, named itself the East Riding of Yorkshire.


Research Tips