- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Espershields from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "ESPERSHIELDS, a township in Bywell-St. Peter parish, Northumberland; on the river Derwent, contiguous to [County] Durham, 8 miles S by E of Corbridge. It includes a place called Millshield. Acres: 3,389. Population: 182. Houses: 31.
Espershields was originally a township in the ancient parish of Bywell St. Peter. It became a separate civil parish in 1866, but in 1955 it was absorbed into the civil parish of Healey.
Co-ordinates taken from Google Earth. Espershields and Millshield are not marked but the Derwent Reservoir Sailing Club is almost directly south of Healey, matching the location of Espershields in respect to Healey on the 1900 Ordnance Survey map listed below.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.