|Alt names||Ascri||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 306|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||East Riding of Yorkshire, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||Yorkshire, England |
|North Yorkshire, England (1974 - )|
|See also||Escrick Rural, East Riding of Yorkshire, England||rural district in which it was situated 1894-1935|
|Derwent Rural, East Riding of Yorkshire, England||rural district in which it was situated 1935-1974|
|Selby District, North Yorkshire, England||administrative district of which it was a part 1974-1996|
|York, Yorkshire, England||unitary authority in which it has been located since 1996|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Escrick is a village and civil parish in the Selby district of North Yorkshire, England. It is equidistant between Selby and York on what is now the A19 road.
From 1894 until 1935, Deighton was located in Escrick Rural District. In 1935 the Escrick Rural District was abolished and its place was taken by Derwent Rural District which administered the local area until the nationwide municipal reorganization of 1974. From 1974 until 1996, Deighton was in the Selby District of North Yorkshire. In 1996 the City of York, a unitary authority, expanded its borders to include Deighton.
Historically, Escrick was an ecclesiastical parishin the wapentake of Ouse and Derwent.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Escrick.
- GENUKI on Escrick. The GENUKI page gives numerous references to local bodies providing genealogical assistance.
- The FamilySearch wiki on the ecclesiastical parish of Escrick provides a list of useful resources for the local area.
- British History Online has an article from the Victoria County Histories on Escrick
- A Vision of Britain through Time on Escrick.
- A Vision of Britain through Time also provides links to three maps of the East Riding, produced by the United Kingdom Ordnance Survey, illustrating the boundaries between the civil parishes and the rural districts at various dates. These maps all blow up to a scale that will illustrate small villages and large farms or estates.
Categories: East Riding of Yorkshire, England | North Yorkshire, England | Escrick Rural, East Riding of Yorkshire, England | Derwent Rural, East Riding of Yorkshire, England | Ouse and Derwent Wapentake, East Riding of Yorkshire, England | Escrick, East Riding of Yorkshire, England