Place:Episcopalian Cemetery, Huntington, Adams, Pennsylvania, United States

Watchers
NameEpiscopalian Cemetery
Alt namesOld White Episcopal Church Cemetery
Old White Church Cemetery
TypeCemetery
Coordinates39.9596°N 77.1285°W
Located inHuntington, Adams, Pennsylvania, United States     (1742 - )
Also located inYork Springs, Adams, Pennsylvania, United States    
Adams, Pennsylvania, United States    

History

Old White Church was the first church of any denomination west of the Susquehannah River and was started circa 1742, founded as a mission church by a priest who came across the Susquehannah. It was also the "mother church" of four Episcopal churches of the area - St. John's Episcopal in Carlisle (1752), of St. John the Baptist and St. Andrew's Episcopal church of York in York county, and of Christ Episcopal Church (circa 1828) at York Springs in Adams county. The church also shared the building with a Lutheran congregation for a period of about 75 years.

There is said to be some slight indication of the old foundation of the church but nothing more except for the old cemetery. This cemetery is about three miles from York Springs, on an old country road (White Church Road). The land is flat and wooded. The cemetery is kept up under the oversight of Prince of Peace Parish in Gettysburg.

In addition to the stones included here, there are about one hundred field stones in this cemetery without markings. Many of the gravestones are unreadable and a number of them have been vandalized.

Source USGenweb Archives

Location

White Church Road
Huntington Township, PA

Resources

Fundraiser
Help fund new features!