Smannell is a village in Hampshire, England, located two miles northeast of Andover. It lies in the ecclesiastical parish of Smannell and Enham Alamein. In the 19th century it was a chapelry in the ancient parish of Andover and would appear from the limited data in A Vision of Britain through Time to have remained so until 1932 when it became a civil parish. According to maps, it was within the limits of Andover Municipal Borough. But when it became a civil parish it was moved to the administration of Andover Rural District.
There is a mixture of housing types including brick and flint, thatched cottages, and more modern 20th-century housing.
The village has a Church of England Church - Christ Church.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Smannell from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
Victoria County History of Hampshire, volume 4, chapter on Knight's Enham states "In 1878 the neighbouring vicarage of Smannell in Andover was united with Knights Enham."
There are three population areas, in order from north to south, now named Upper Enham (formerly Upper King's Enham), Enham Alamein (formerly Lower Enham and earlier Lower Kings Enham) and Knights Enham.
Knight's Enham is now part of the north edge of suburban spread of Andover, about a kilometre south along the A343 road from the current site of Enham Alamein. This is a hamlet of 3 or 4 houses and a church with a first recorded date of 1241.
The village of Enham was one of the original "Village Centres" chosen for the rehabilitation of injured and war-disabled soldiers returning from the front line of World War I. Originally funded by King George V in 1919, the Village Centre became a hub for the care of these soldiers where they were retrained in new trades such as basketry, upholstery, gardening services and other trades. This formed the basis of the charity which still exists today and owns the majority of Enham Alamein village, Enham Trust, providing care for civilians with disabilities.