- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Embleton village is located in the English county of Northumberland and is about half a mile from the bay that carries its name. The sandy beach is backed by dunes where a variety of flowers bloom: bluebells, cowslips, burnet roses and, to give it its common name, bloody cranesbill, amongst others. Dunstanburgh Castle stands at the southern end of Embleton Bay. Close by, to the south, is the fishing village of Craster.
Robert de Emeldon, Lord Treasurer of Ireland, was born in Embleton towards the close of the thirteenth century.
According to the 2011 UK census the population was 672.
- end of Wikipedia contribution
Embleton was an ancient parish in the Bamburgh Ward which also became a civil parish in the 19th century. From 1894 it was part of Alnwick Rural District. In 1974 rural districts were abolished and Embleton became part of the Alnwick District until 2009 when Northumberland became a unitary authority.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Embleton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "EMBLETON, a village, a township, a parish, and a [registration] sub-district in Alnwick [registration] district, Northumberland. The village stands near the coast, 1½ mile ESE of Christon-Bank [railway] station, and 6½ NE by N of Alnwick; is irregularly built; and has a post office under Chathill The township includes the village, and comprises 1,978 acres of land and 418 of water. Population: 727. Houses: 155.
- "The parish contains also the townships of Stamford, Craster, Dunston, Newton-by-the-Sea, Falloden, Rock, Rennington, Broxfield, and Brunton. Acres: 13,228. Real property: £16,333; of which £150 are in mines. Population: 2,302. Houses: 450. The property is not much divided. The manor belongs to the Earl of Tankerville. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value: £815. Patron: Merton College, Oxford. The church is a fine old structure; has an embattled tower; and was restored in 1850. The parsonage was anciently fortified, and has still a machicolated tower. Charities: £22. The [perpetual] curacies of Rock and Rennington are separate benefices.
- "The sub-district contains also Edlingham, Howick, and Longhoughton parishes. and five townships of two other parishes. Acres: 50,587. Population: 6,063. Houses: 1,195."
Townships in Parish
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.