Place:Elysian Fields, Harrison, Texas, United States

Watchers


NameElysian Fields
TypeCity
Coordinates32.367°N 94.167°W
Located inHarrison, Texas, United States
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Elysian Fields is a rural unincorporated community in Harrison County, Texas, United States. It lies 11 miles southeast of the county seat of Marshall.

The community was originally the site of a Caddo village named Biff Springs. An American from New Orleans, Capt. Edward Smith, visited the village in 1817 and compared its beauty to the Elysian Fields of Greek Mythology. Smith and his family settled in the area in the 1830s. In 1910 the community relocated one mile to the west, so it could be linked to a railroad. The community is now the center of the Elysian Fields Independent School District.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Elysian Fields, Texas. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.