Place:Elwick, Northumberland, England

TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates55.626°N 1.818°W
Located inNorthumberland, England     (1844 - 1955)
Also located inDurham, England     ( - 1844)
See alsoBelford, Northumberland, Englandancient parish of which it was part
Bamburgh Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient division in which it was located
Belford Rural, Northumberland, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1955
Middleton, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish into which it was absorbed in 1955
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Elwick from John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles of 1887:

"Elwick, township, in par. and 2 m. NE. of Belford, N. Northumb., 878 ac. and 635 tidal water and foreshore, population 64."

GENUKI's list of registration districts states that it was a detached portion of County Durham transferred to Northumberland in 1844.

Elwick was a township in the ancient parish of Belford. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1955 it was part of Belford Rural District. In 1955 the civil parish was abolished and the area was absorbed into the parish of Middleton.

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.