|Alt names||Elvetham Heath||source: 21st century community|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Hampshire, England|
|See also||Odiham Hundred, Hampshire, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Hartley Wintney Rural, Hampshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1932|
|Hartley Wintney, Hampshire, England||civil parish to which its lands were part transferred in 1932|
|Fleet, Hampshire, England||civil parish to which its lands were part transferred in 1932|
|Hart District, Hampshire, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Elvetham from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "ELVETHAM, a parish in Hartley-Wintney [registration] district, Hants; near Hartford-Bridge hamlet, Hartley-Wintney village, and Winchfield [railway] station, 4½ miles NE by N of Odiham. Post town: Hartford-Bridge, or Hartley-Row, under Winchfield. Acres: 3,200. Real property: £2,349. Population: 475. Houses: 98. The property is all in one estate. Elvetham Hall is the seat of Lord Calthorpe; was the scene of a famous entertainment of three days' duration, by the Earl of Hertford, to Queen Elizabeth, -almost vying with the still more famous one of Kenilworth; was nearly rebuilt, as well as internally re-decorated, in 1863 and preceding years; and presents a very imposing general appearance. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value: £235. Patron: Lord Calthorpe. The church is old but good; and there are charities £63."
Elvetham was an ancient parish in the Odiham Hundred, and a civil parish in Hartley Wintney Rural District until 1932. In 1932 the parish was abolished and the lands divided between Hartley Wintney and Fleet parishes with Hartley Wintney receiving more than 85% of the total area. (Source: A Vision of Britain through Time)
Both parts were transferred to the Hart District in 1974 where its status has changed, as shown by the excerpt from Wikipedia below.
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Elvetham Heath is a residential area and civil parish, containing 1,868 residences, on a 311 acres (126 ha) site, just outside the northwestern boundary of the town of Fleet in the Hart District of English county of [[Place:Hampshire, England|Hampshire.
- Victoria County History of Hampshire, volume 4, chapter on Elvetham.
- GENUKI has a list of archive holders in Hampshire including the Hampshire Record Office, various museums in Portsmouth and Southhampton, the Isle of Wight Record Office and Archives.
- The Hampshire Online Parish Clerk project has a large collection of transcriptions from Parish Registers across Hampshire.
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 together with tables listing the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered, along with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The three-storey City Museum in Winchester covers the Iron Age and Roman periods, the Middle Ages, and the Victorian period.
- Volumes in The Victoria County History Series are available for Hampshire through British History Online. There are three volumes and the county is covered by parishes within the old divisions of "hundreds".
- A collection of maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrating the English county of Hampshire over the period 1832-1932 (the last two are expandible):
- A group of maps of the post-1974 municipal districts or boroughs of Hampshire on Wikipedia Commons