Place:Elvaston, Derbyshire, England

Watchers
NameElvaston
Alt namesAluuoldestunsource: Domesday Book (1985) p 69
Ambastonsource: hamlet in parish
Thurlstonsource: hamlet in parish
Thulstonsource: alternate spelling
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates52.883°N 1.383°W
Located inDerbyshire, England
See alsoMorleston and Litchurch Hundred, Derbyshire, Englandhundred in which it was located until 1866
Shardlow Rural, Derbyshire, Englandrural district in which it was situated 1894-1959
South East Derbyshire Rural, Derbyshire, Englandrural district in which it was situated 1959-1974
South Derbyshire District, Derbyshire, Englandadministrative district covering the area since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


NOTE:Elvaston and Alvaston are not the same place. Elvaston parish is immediately east of Alvaston and Boulton parish. Elvaston remains in the South Derbyshire District while Alvaston and Boulton is now a part of the City of Derby unitary authority.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Elvaston from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"ELVASTON, a parish in Shardlow [registration] district, Derbyshire; on the river Derwent, adjacent to the Derby canal, and the Derby and Leicester railway, near Borrowash [railway] station, and 4½ miles SE by E of Derby. Post town: Alvaston, under Derby. Acres: 2,760. Real property: £5,700. Population: 499. Houses: 114. The manor belonged to the Blunts and the Poles; and passed to the Stanhopes. Elvaston Castle is the seat of the Earl of Harrington. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value £350. Patron the Earl of Harrington. The church is ancient; has a pinnacled tower; and contains monuments of the Stanhopes. Charities, £148."

Elvaston was originally an ancient parish in the Morleston and Litchurch Hundred of Derbyshire, England. It was an ancient parish without any subsidiary chapelries or townships.

It was made a civil parish in 1866 and in 1894 it became part of the Shardlow Rural District. In 1959 the Shardlow Rural District was renamed the South East Derbyshire Rural District. Since 1974 it has been in the non-metropolitan South Derbyshire non-metropolitan district.

Elvaston includes two hamlets located quite close to the main village. Its present ecclesiastical parish recognizes all three and is named Elvaston cum Thurlston and Ambaston. Thurlston and Ambaston have been redirected here. The OS map of 1900 spells Thurlston as Thulston.

Research Tips

  • British History Online (Victoria County Histories) does not appear to cover Derbyshire geographically. A History of the County of Derby: Volume 2, edited by William Page is a part-volume covering the religious houses of the county. No further volumes have been found.
  • GENUKI main page for Derbyshire which provides information on various topics covering the whole of the county, and also a link to a list of parishes. Under each parish there is a list of the settlements within it and brief description of each. This is a list of pre-1834 ancient or ecclesiastical parishes but there are suggestions as to how to find parishes set up since then. GENUKI provides references to other organizations who hold genealogical information for the local area. There is no guarantee that the website has been kept up to date and therefore the reader should check additional sources if possible.
  • The FamilyTree Wiki has a series of pages similar to those provided by GENUKI which may have been prepared at a later date and from more recent data. The wiki has a link to English Jurisdictions 1851 which gives the registration district and wapentake for each parish, together with statistics from the 1851 census for the area.
  • A Vision of Britain through Time, Derbyshire, section "Units and Statistics" leads to analyses of population and organization of the county from about 1800 through 1974. There are pages available for all civil parishes, municipal boroughs and other administrative divisions. Descriptions provided are usually based on a gazetteer of 1870-72 which often provides brief notes on the economic basis of the settlement and significant occurences through its history.
  • These two maps indicate the boundaries between parishes, etc., but for a more detailed view of a specific area try a map from this selection. The oldest series are very clear at the third magnification offered. Comparing the map details with the GENUKI details for the same area is well worthwhile.