- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Elmore is a village and civil parish, located in the Stroud District of Gloucestershire, England. The village lies on the border of Quedgeley in the City of Gloucester, near the south bank of the River Severn, and has a population of 216 according to the UK census of 2011.
The village is the location of Elmore Court, a grade II listed mansion, which has been the family seat of the Guise Baronets for nearly 800 years.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Elmore from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "ELMORE, a parish in the [registration] district and county of Gloucester; near the river Severn, the South Wales railway, and the Great Western Union railway, 5 miles SW of Gloucester. Post town, Hempstead, under Gloucester. Acres: 1,486. Real property: £2,949. Pop.: 374. Houses: 77. The property is not much divided. Elmore Court is the seat of Sir W. V. Guise, Bart. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value: £73. Patron: Sir J. W. Guise. The church is ancient, but good; and has an embattled tower. Charities, £17."
Gloucester (1837 - 1937)
Gloucester Rural (1937 - 1974)
Gloucester (post-1974) (1974 - 2006)
Gloucestershire (2006 - )
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
- Unfortunately, A History of the County of Gloucester in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online does not cover this part of the county
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Dudstone and Kings Barton (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Gloucester Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucester Rural Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucester (post-1974) Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucestershire Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Stroud (district), Gloucestershire, England | Elmore, Gloucestershire, England
Help fund new features!