Ellenville is a village in Ulster County, New York, United States. The population was 4,135 at the 2010 census. The ZIP code is 12428. Telephone service is provided by the 210 and 647 exchanges in Area Code 845.
The first building erected in what is now the center of the village was built around 1798 by Alpheus Fairchild, who moved west from Connecticut. However, in what is now the easternmost part of the village, the Bodley homestead most likely stood well before the Revolution, as did portions of the Bevier and Sax farms. Originally named "Fairchild City," or just "The City," after Alpheus Fairchild, who bought most of today's village in 1798 from John A. DeWitt, Fairchild had a dwelling erected on part of the site where the George and John R. Hunt Memorial Building stands today. Nathan and Maria Hoornbeek bought the dwelling and enlarged it, converting it into an inn. The Hoornbeek Tavern was a gathering place for the citizens and many important decisions about the community were made at meetings held there. Indeed, the decision to change the name of the community to "Ellenville" was proposed at the Hoornbeek Tavern. Village leaders, unable to agree upon a new name, were persuaded by Ellen Snyder, Maria Hoornbeek's sister, to name the village after her.
Charles Hartshorn came to "The City" to try a case in the Hoornbeek Tavern in 1823. He would open the first store that same year, and led a drive to choose a "real" name for the community. Hartshorn also applied to the federal government for approval of a post office and was named the first postmaster. He later erected a home for his family on the former site of the Hoornbeek Tavern. In 1856, he was elected first President of the newly incorporated village of Ellenville.
Noted American composer Homer Newton Bartlett resided at 32 Maple Avenue in Ellenville for many years during the late 19th century.
Just north of the village, the Joseph Y. Resnick Airport (N89) is named in honor and memory of U.S. Congressman Joseph Yale Resnick, a Wawarsing native. Ellenville Regional Hospital, just north of the airport, and the Nevele Tower, just south of the village, were both dedicated by then-President Lyndon B. Johnson, at Congressman Resnick's request.
Ellenville has three copies of the statue known as "The Boy with the Leaking Boot".
Due to good launch sites and favorable weather conditions, Ellenville became a major center for the development of hang gliding in the 1970s and 1980s. The area is now home to three major hang gliding schools and is considered one of the best sites for instruction east of the Mississippi. On most weekends, hang gliders can be seen launching off of two sites on the Shawangunk Ridge just south of Nevele and Honors Haven.