Elland is a market town in Calderdale, in the county of West Yorkshire, England, south of Halifax, by the River Calder and the Calder and Hebble Navigation. Elland was recorded as Elant in the Domesday Book. The town's name is derived from the Old English meaning 'land by the water, river or land partly or wholly surrounded by water'. It had a population in United Kingdom Census 2001 of 14,554.
Elland was an urban district from 1894 until 1974.