Edlingham is a small village and civil parish in Northumberland in the north of England. At the 2001 UK census it had a population of 196, reducing slightly to 191 at the 2011 UK census. The road to Alnwick passes close by the village and the town of Rothbury is about 6 miles (10 km) away.
Its recorded history goes back as far as 737 when King Coelwulf gave Edlingham and three other royal Northumbrian villages to Cuthbert.
St. John the Baptist's Church dates largely from the 11th and 12th centuries, with a remarkable fortified tower added c.1300.
Situated close to the church, Edlingham Castle has its origins in a house built by John de Edlingham in the 12th century, which was subsequently strengthened and fortified over the next three centuries. In the 15th century the castle had a moat, gate tower and strong palisade. However, agricultural requirements overtook the need for defence over the following 200 years, and after 1514 the buildings were let to local tenant farmers for housing animals and crops, and fell into disrepair. By 1650 the castle was abandoned and over the next 300 years the theft of stonework left the building in ruins.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Edlingham from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
Townships in parish