The village has two pubs (the Lion and the Lamb), an Anglican church, a Methodist chapel and hall, a village hall, and a village shop with a co-located post office. The University has accommodation in the village, where many international students stay. The main subjects taught at the college are related to the food chain and much research is done there.
There is a recreation field called simply "The Playing Fields", where there are Sunday cricket games, pub football matches, and a playground for young children. The village also has many areas for walking and biking including an area called the Rock Hole, an old sandstone quarry from which the rock used to build the local church was taken .
Also popular is the canal walk, which leads down to the local town of Newport along the old canals. The canals are now often used for fishing competitions. There has been much speculation about the possibility of reopening the old Shrewsbury and Newport Canal route.
There is a church and school in Edgmond. The church is dedicated to St.Peter and is in the Archdeaconry of Salop. The village Church of England primary school is called St.Peters. The church holds an annual Church Clipping service, which claims to be the longest uninterrupted clipping service in the country. Previous Rectors of Edgmond included Sir Lovelace Stamer (also concurrently Anglican Bishop of Shrewsbury), from 1896 to 1905, during which period he built new schools for local children, organised a working men's club and reading rooms, and paid for a piped water supply for the village.
Edgmond was once associated with the practice of souling, a possible contributor to the halloween practice of trick or treating. The folk song "The Edgmond Man's Souling Song" was released by folk musicians John Kirkpatrick and Sue Harris on their 1976 album Among The Many Attractions at the Show will be a Really High Class Band.