Edge Hill is an area of the Metropolitan Borough of Liverpool, in Merseyside, England, and is a Liverpool City Council ward. Before 1974 it was in Lancashire. It is located to the south east of Liverpool city centre and bordered by the city centre, Kensington, Wavertree and Toxteth.
The area was first developed in the late 18th/early 19th century (Georgian era). Many of the Georgian houses of the time still survive.
In the early 19th century, it was the site of two railway works. Both the Liverpool and Manchester Railway and the Grand Junction Railway initially set up workshops there, but with little room to expand as business grew, the Grand Junction Railway moved its main locomotive production to Crewe in 1843. Edge Hill was the site of huge railway marshalling yards until the 1960s, sorting trains to and from the docks via the Victoria Tunnel and Wapping Tunnel to Park Lane and Waterloo goods stations on the dockside.