- source: Family History Library Catalog
NOTE: There are three places named Eaton in Cheshire. The others are Eaton (near Chester), Eaton (near Congleton) and Eaton (near Northwich) (also known as Eaton (near Davenham).
- The following information was found in GENUKI
Eaton (near Tarporley) was a township in Tarporley ancient parish, in Eddisbury Hundred, which became a civil parish in 1866. It included part of the hamlet of Cotebrook. The population was 460 in 1801, 522 in 1851, and 394 in 1901.
In 1936 it was abolished and divided between Rushton (1202 acres, pop. 277 in 1931), Tarporley (36 acres, pop. 18 in 1931) and Utkinton (106 acres, pop. 58 in 1931).
The local churches are St. Thomas (Church of England) built in 1896 as a chapel to St. Helen in Tarporley, and Eaton Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan), built in 1840.
- The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
- A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
- Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.