Place:Eaton (near Congleton), Cheshire, England

NameEaton (near Congleton)
Alt namesEaton (near Northwich)source: from redirect
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Located inCheshire, England
See alsoAstbury, Cheshire, Englandancient parish of which it was a township
Northwich Hundred, Cheshire, Englandhundred in which it was located
Congleton, Cheshire, Englandcivil parish which absorbed part of the parish in 1936
Macclesfield Rural, Cheshire, Englandrural district in which the remainder was located 1894-1974
source: Family History Library Catalog

GENUKI provides the following information:

Eaton (near Congleton) was a township in Astbury ancient parish, Northwich Hundred, which became a civil parish in 1866. The population was 184 in 1801, 584 in 1851, 346 in 1901, 242 in 1951, and 289 in 2001.

In 1936 part of Eaton was added to Congleton in 1936, and the hamlet of Havannah was added to Eaton from Buglawton civil parish.

No details are given as to the destination of the parish after 1974.

Research Tips

  • The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
  • A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
  • Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.