|Name||Eaton (near Congleton)|
|Alt names||Eaton (near Northwich)||source: from redirect|
|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Cheshire, England|
|See also||Astbury, Cheshire, England||ancient parish of which it was a township|
|Northwich Hundred, Cheshire, England||hundred in which it was located|
|Congleton, Cheshire, England||civil parish which absorbed part of the parish in 1936|
|Macclesfield Rural, Cheshire, England||rural district in which the remainder was located 1894-1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- GENUKI provides the following information:
Eaton (near Congleton) was a township in Astbury ancient parish, Northwich Hundred, which became a civil parish in 1866. The population was 184 in 1801, 584 in 1851, 346 in 1901, 242 in 1951, and 289 in 2001.
In 1936 part of Eaton was added to Congleton in 1936, and the hamlet of Havannah was added to Eaton from Buglawton civil parish.
No details are given as to the destination of the parish after 1974.
- The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
- A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
- Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.
Categories: Cheshire, England | Eaton (near Congleton), Cheshire, England | Astbury, Cheshire, England | Northwich Hundred, Cheshire, England | Macclesfield Rural, Cheshire, England | Congleton, Cheshire, England