Place:Eastwick, Hertfordshire, England

Alt namesEsteuuichesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 137
TypeHamlet, Civil parish
Coordinates51.783°N 0.083°E
Located inHertfordshire, England
See alsoBraughing Hundred, Hertfordshire, Englandhundred in which it was located
Ware Rural, Hertfordshire, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1974
East Hertfordshire District, Hertfordshire, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Eastwick from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"EASTWICK, a village and a parish in Ware [registration] district, Herts. The village stands on the river Stort, at the verge of the county, adjacent to the Eastern Counties railway, near Burnt Mill [railway] station, and 5½ miles ESE of Ware; is a seat of petty sessions; was once a market-town; and has a post office under Harlow. The parish comprises 810 acres. Real property: £1,486. Population: 116. Houses: 23. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to R. P. Ward, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value: £210. Patron: R. P. Ward, Esq. The church is Norman; has a brass of 1564, and monuments of the Wards; and is good. Charities, £6."

Since 1974 when the area became part of the East Hertfordshire District, Eastwick is part of the modern civil parish of Eastwick and Gilston. At the 2001 Census, the population of this new parish was 180.

Research Tips