|Alt names||Henberie||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 113|
|Lawrence-Weston||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Located in||Gloucestershire, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||Avon, England (1974 - 1996)|
|Bristol (post 1996), England (1996 - )|
|See also||Berkeley (hundred), Gloucestershire, England||hundred in which it was part located|
|Henbury (hundred), Gloucestershire, England||hundred in which it was part located|
|Aust, Gloucestershire, England||parish which absorbed part of Henbury in 1866|
|Redwick and Northwick, Gloucestershire, England||parish which absorbed part of Henbury in 1866|
|Barton Regis Rural, Gloucestershire, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1904|
|Bristol, Gloucestershire, England||city which absorbed part of Henbury in 1901 and 1935|
|Redwick and Northwick, Gloucestershire, England||parish which absorbed a further part of Henbury in 1935|
|Almondsbury, Gloucestershire, England||parish which absorbed part of Henbury in 1935|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Henbury is now a suburb of Bristol, England, approximately 5 miles north west of the city centre. In 2001 it had a population of 9,498. It was formerly a village in Gloucestershire and is now bordered by Westbury-on-Trym to the south; Brentry to the east and the Blaise Castle estate, Blaise Hamlet and Lawrence Weston to the west. To the north lies the South Gloucestershire village of Hallen (part of the original parish of Henbury).
Henbury was historically a very large parish. It extended to the River Severn and included the villages and hamlets of King's Weston, Lawrence Weston, Charlton, Easter Compton (in Almondsbury parish), Pilning (in Pilning and Severn Beach parish, Northwick (in Redwick and Northwick parish) and Aust. When the civil parish was created in 1866, parts of the ancient parish were separated to form the civil parishes of Redwick and Northwick (later Pilning and Severn Beach) and Aust.
In 1901, part of the civil parish was absorbed into Bristol, and further parts were absorbed into Bristol between then and 1933. In 1935, the civil parish was abolished and the remaining parts were absorbed into Bristol and the civil parishes of Pilning and Severn Beach, and Almondsbury.
A 19th century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Henbury from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "HENBURY, a village, a tything, a parish, and a hundred, in Gloucester. The village stands on the S W. verge of the county, near the Fosse way and the estuary of the Severn. 4½ miles NW of Bristol [railway] station: and has a post office under Bristol. The tything comprises 1, 490 acres. Real property: £5,314. Population: 423. Houses: 96.
- "The parish contains also the tythings of Kings-Weston, Lawrence-Weston, Stowick, Compton, Charlton, Aust, and Redwick and Northwick; and is chiefly in the [registration] district of Clifton, but partly in that of Thornbury. Acres: 15,409; of which 5,820 are water. Real property: £25,757. Population: 2,482. Houses: 492. The manor belongs to Sir Greville Smyth, Bart., and E. Colston, Esq. Blaise Castle is the seat of J. S. Harford, Esq. Henbury Hill, on which Blaise Castle stands, had a double ditched Roman camp; has yielded many Roman coins and other relics; and commands an exceedingly varied and beautiful view. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelries of Hallen, Aust, and Northwick, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value: £840. Patrons: Sir G. Smyth, Bart., Mrs. Colston, and the Rev. G. Gore. The church is early English; was repaired and enlarged in 1833; and comprises nave, aisles, and two porches, with low square tower. There are chapels for Baptists, Quakers, and Wesleyans, national schools, an endowed grammar school with £349, another endowed school with £235, and other charities with £267."
(The description of Henbury Hundred is found under Henbury Hundred.)
- Bristol Archives is where paper and microfilm copies of all records for Bristol and its environs are stored.
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837). The GENUKI page for the parish will confirm which archive provider has its records.
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
- MAPS. Most Wikipedia maps for places in the Bristol area have outline maps indicating the location of the suburb under discussion. Another online map that may be useful is this Ordnance Survey map originally made in 1930 and with revisions to 1946.
- Unfortunately, A History of the County of Gloucester in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online does not cover all of Bristol--and the area that was originally in Gloucestershire is sadly omitted, save for the information on the churches in A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 2
- Ancestry.co.uk has recently added Gloucestershire Burials, 1813-1988; Confirmations, 1834-1913; Baptisms, 1813-1913; Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1813; and Marriages and Banns, 1754-1938. (entry dated 1 Aug 2015)
- England and Wales Jurisdictions 1851 provides a map illustrating the locations of the various Bristol parishes. Enter "Bristol" in the search box at the top left, then select the parish required from the list below the search box.
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Berkeley (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Henbury (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Bristol, Gloucestershire, England | Henbury, Gloucestershire, England | Avon, England | Bristol (post 1996), England | Barton Regis Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Clifton Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Barton Regis Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Thornbury Registration District, Gloucestershire, England