|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Kent, England ( - 1934)|
|See also||Worth Hundred, Kent, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Romney Marsh Liberty, Kent, England||further ancient county division in which it was located|
|Romney Marsh Rural, Kent, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1934|
|Burmarsh, Kent, England||civil parish to which the land was transferred in 1934|
|Shepway District, Kent, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
Eastbridge was originally a small ancient parish in the Worth Hundred and also in the Romney Marsh Liberty. Between 1894 and 1934 it was part of Romney Marsh Rural District. In 1934 the parish was abolished and the area transferred to the parish of Burmarsh.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Eastbridge from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "EASTBRIDGE, a parish in Romney Marsh [registration] district, Kent; near the Military canal, 4 miles S of Smeeth [railway] station, and 4¾ N by E of New Romsey. Post town, Dymchurch, under Folkestone. Acres: 1,135. Real property: £3,063. Population: 45. Houses: 8. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury. Value: £73. Patron: the Archbishop of Canterbury. There is no church. Charities, £20."
- Kent County Council Archive, Local Studies and Museums Service. James Whatman Way, Maidstone, Kent ME14 1LQ. This incorporates the Centre for Kentish Studies in Maidstone and the East Kent Archives Centre near Dover.
- Canterbury Cathedral Archives see the Archives web pages on the Canterbury Catherdral site.
- For information on the area around the Medway Towns, have a look at Medway Council's CityArk site.
- Ordnance Survey Maps of England and Wales - Revised: Kent illustrates the parish boundaries of Kent when rural districts were still in existence and before Greater London came into being. The map publication year is 1931. An earlier map of 1900 may also be useful. The maps blow up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets. Maps in this series are now downloadable for personal use.
- Steve Archer has produced a very useful round-up of the available census records for Kent - and where/from whom they are available.
- Registration Districts in Kent for the period 1837 to the present. By drilling down through the links you can follow any parish through the registration districts to which it was attached.
- Bishop's Transcripts for Kent parishes, 1558-1887, can be found on FamilySearch since February 2016
- The Kent Family History Society and the North West Kent Family History Society are the most dominant, but there are also
Categories: Kent, England | Eastbridge, Kent, England | Worth Hundred, Kent, England | Romney Marsh Liberty, Kent, England | Romney Marsh Rural, Kent, England | Burmarsh, Kent, England | Shepway District, Kent, England