Place:Whorlton, Northumberland, England

Alt namesEast and West Whorltonsource: older name
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Located inNorthumberland, England     ( - 1935)
See alsoNewburn, Northumberland, Englandancient parish in which it was a township
Castle Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Castle Ward Rural, Northumberland, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1935
Newburn, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish into which it was absorbed in 1935
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Whorlton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"WHORLTON (East and West), a township in Newburn parish, Northumberland; 5 miles NW by N of Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Acres: 585. Population: 62. Houses: 11."

Whorlton was originally two townships in the ancient parish of Newburn and became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 it was part of Castle Ward Rural District. In 1935 the civil parish was abolished and the area was absorbed back into Newburn.

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.