|Alt names||Weleue||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 123|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Hampshire, England|
|See also||Thorngate Hundred, Hampshire, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Romsey Rural, Hampshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1932|
|Wellow, Hampshire, England||civil parish into which it was transferred in 1932|
|Test Valley District, Hampshire, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of East Wellow from John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles of 1870-72:
- "Wellow, East, par., on W. border of Hants, 1 mile NE. of West Wellow, 2494 ac., population 319."
East Wellow was a separate civil parish in Hampshire, England until 1932 when it was merged with West Wellow under the name Wellow. Until 1895 when the county boundary was realigned, West Wellow was in Wiltshire and East Wellow in Hampshire.
According to Wikipedia today the separation between the villages is indistinguishable. Thier combined population is just over 3,000. Wellow is located in the Test Valley District. The village lies just outside the New Forest across the main A36 road which runs from the M27 motorway to Salisbury. The nearest town is Romsey (6 km) and the nearest city Southampton (13 km).
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Wellow, Hampshire.
- Victoria County History of Hampshire, volume 4, chapter on East Wellow.
- GENUKI has a list of archive holders in Hampshire including the Hampshire Record Office, various museums in Portsmouth and Southhampton, the Isle of Wight Record Office and Archives.
- The Hampshire Online Parish Clerk project has a large collection of transcriptions from Parish Registers across Hampshire.
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 together with tables listing the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered, along with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The three-storey City Museum in Winchester covers the Iron Age and Roman periods, the Middle Ages, and the Victorian period.
- Volumes in The Victoria County History Series are available for Hampshire through British History Online. There are three volumes and the county is covered by parishes within the old divisions of "hundreds".
- A collection of maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrating the English county of Hampshire over the period 1832-1932 (the last two are expandible):
- A group of maps of the post-1974 municipal districts or boroughs of Hampshire on Wikipedia Commons
Categories: Hampshire, England | East Wellow, Hampshire, England | Thorngate Hundred, Hampshire, England | Romsey Rural, Hampshire, England | Wellow, Hampshire, England | Test Valley District, Hampshire, England