|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Durham, England ( - 1937)|
|See also||Auckland St. Andrew, Durham, England||ancient parish in which it was a township|
|Darlington Ward, Durham, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Shildon, Durham, England||urban district of which it was part 1894-1937|
|Shildon, Durham, England||parish into which it was absorbed in 1937|
|Sedgefield District, Durham, England||district municipality covering the area 1974-2009|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of East Thickley from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "THICKLEY (East), a township in Auckland-St-Andrew parish, Durham; 3½ miles SE of Bishop-Auckland. Acres: 260. Real property: £2,464; of which £1,200 are in mines. Population in 1851: 622; in 1861: 1,142. Houses: 232."
East Thickley was originally a colliery village and a township in the ancient parish of Auckland St. Andrew in County Durham. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. In 1894 it was made a part of Shildon Urban District. In 1937 it was abolished and absorbed into the civil parish of Shildon. Between 1974 and 2009 it became part of the larger Sedgefield non-metropolitan district. Since 2009 County Durham has been a unitary authority.
Categories: Durham, England | East Thickley, Durham, England | Auckland St. Andrew, Durham, England | Darlington Ward, Durham, England | Shildon, Durham, England | Sedgefield District, Durham, England