|Alt names||Cold Harbour||source: hamlet in parish|
|Type||Chapelry, Civil parish|
|Located in||Hampshire, England|
|See also||Micheldever Hundred, Hampshire, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Winchester Rural, Hampshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1932|
|Micheldever, Hampshire, England||parish into which it was absorbed in 1932|
|Winchester District, Hampshire, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
East Stratton is an estate village which, since 1932, has been in the parish of Micheldever at the entrance to the landscaped grounds of Stratton Park, some eight miles northeast of Winchester, Hampshire, England. Both park and village demonstrate the evolution of a landscape directed by three eminent families - Wriothesley, Russell and Baring - during the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries.
In East Stratton can clearly be seen a sequence of village development stretching over four centuries. At the north end, thatched cottages dating from the 17th and 18th centuries border the lane which sweeps down to the entrance of the Park. Around the village cross-roads and War Memorial are grouped other cottages and the 'new' 19th-century church, All Saints, East Stratton and farm. Further south are five pairs of early 19th-century estate cottages and the 19th-century Plough Inn (now renamed the Northbrook Arms). A dozen houses erected in this century by the Rural District and Forestry Commission now extend the village as far as Cold Harbour, once a small separate hamlet.
The name Stratton comes from Old English and means "farmstead or village on a Roman road".
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article East Stratton.
- Victoria County History of Hampshire, volume 3, chapter on East Stratton.
- GENUKI has a list of archive holders in Hampshire including the Hampshire Record Office, various museums in Portsmouth and Southhampton, the Isle of Wight Record Office and Archives.
- The Hampshire Online Parish Clerk project has a large collection of transcriptions from Parish Registers across Hampshire.
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 together with tables listing the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered, along with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The three-storey City Museum in Winchester covers the Iron Age and Roman periods, the Middle Ages, and the Victorian period.
- Volumes in The Victoria County History Series are available for Hampshire through British History Online. There are three volumes and the county is covered by parishes within the old divisions of "hundreds".
- A collection of maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrating the English county of Hampshire over the period 1832-1932 (the last two are expandible):
- A group of maps of the post-1974 municipal districts or boroughs of Hampshire on Wikipedia Commons
Categories: Hampshire, England | East Stratton, Hampshire, England | Micheldever Hundred, Hampshire, England | Winchester Rural, Hampshire, England | Micheldever, Hampshire, England | Winchester District, Hampshire, England