Place:East Stour, Dorset, England

Watchers


NameEast Stour
Alt namesStursource: Domesday Book (1985) p 95
Sturesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 95
TypeVillage
Coordinates51°N 2.283°W
Located inDorset, England
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

East Stour is a village and civil parish in the county of Dorset in southern England. It lies within the North Dorset administrative district, about south of the town of Gillingham. The village is sited half a mile from the east bank of the River Stour in the Blackmore Vale and 2 miles west of the broadly conical local landmark Duncliffe Hill (210 m). Above the west bank of the river, about a mile away, is the village of West Stour. The A30 London to Penzance road passes through the village. The underlying geology of the parish is Corallian limestone in the west and Kimmeridge clay in the east, with gault clay around the greensand of Duncliffe Hill. The village is on the limestone. The parish church was rebuilt in 1841-42 near the site of its predecessor, from which the Norman stone font was retrieved. In the 2011 census the civil parish had a population of 573.[1] A 1695 map shows the village name as Stower Estover. In the Domesday Book of 1086 East Stour and West Stour together were recorded as Stur or Sture, which had 73 households and administratively was in Gillingham Hundred. East Stour is in the electoral ward called 'The Stours'. The ward stretches to include East Orchard and the total population at the abovementioned census was 1,786.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at East Stour, Dorset. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.