This cemetery covers approximately 3.2 acres which are bounded by three roads: on the south by Cemetery Street, on the east by Gregory Boulevard, and on the west by Connecticut State Highway 136. The cemetery is only open to pedestrians, with no established trails or tracks.
East Norwalk Historical Cemetery is a historical cemetery in East Norwalk, Connecticut. It is Norwalk's oldest cemetery, and many of the area's first settlers are buried there. The Norwalk Third Taxing District and the East Norwalk Historical Cemetery Association maintains the grounds. At the north entrance of the grounds, the Founder’s Stone honors the 31 settlers who founded the settlement of Norwalk in 1649.
The cemetery is triangular in shape, bounded on all sides by streets and enclosed by a fence. There are many graves seen which are unmarked by headstones. Many of the earliest remains were deposited before stones were available, and of which no mark or tradition is known.
In 1843, the Down Town Cemetery Association was founded to maintain and conduct the business of the cemetery. In 1933, the name was changed to the East Norwalk Cemetery Association. In 1941, the Norwalk Third Taxing District entered into an agreement to supplement the association's perpetual care fund, due to a dwindling amount of donations. In 1966, the district took the deed to the land, so as to secure better insurance. Today, the district provides for the perpetual care of the grounds, while cemetery business is conducted by volunteers of the association.