|Alt names||Mene||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 123|
|Menes||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 123|
|Meon||source: alternate name|
|Oxenbourne||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Ramsdean||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Rothercombe||source: manor in parish|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Hampshire, England|
|See also||East Meon Hundred, Hampshire, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Meonstoke Hundred, Hampshire, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Petersfield Rural, Hampshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1974|
|East Hampshire District, Hampshire, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
East Meon is a village and civil parish in the East Hampshire District of Hampshire. It is west of Petersfield, its nearest railway station.
The village is located in the Meon Valley approximately 31 km (19 mi) north of Portsmouth and 98 km (61 mi) southwest of London, on the headwaters of the River Meon. With an acreage of 11,370 acres (46.0 km2), East Meon is geographically the largest parish in East Hampshire. The boundaries of the present parish of East Meon date back to 1894 when it was made a civil parish in Petersfield Rural District.
The civil parish of Langrish was carved out of East Meon parish in 1894.
The civil parishes of Steep and Froxfield were also chapelries of East Meon.
- Victoria County History of Hampshire, volume 3, chapter on East Meon.
- GENUKI has a list of archive holders in Hampshire including the Hampshire Record Office, various museums in Portsmouth and Southhampton, the Isle of Wight Record Office and Archives.
- The Hampshire Online Parish Clerk project has a large collection of transcriptions from Parish Registers across Hampshire.
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 together with tables listing the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered, along with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The three-storey City Museum in Winchester covers the Iron Age and Roman periods, the Middle Ages, and the Victorian period.
- Volumes in The Victoria County History Series are available for Hampshire through British History Online. There are three volumes and the county is covered by parishes within the old divisions of "hundreds".
- A collection of maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrating the English county of Hampshire over the period 1832-1932 (the last two are expandible):
- A group of maps of the post-1974 municipal districts or boroughs of Hampshire on Wikipedia Commons
Categories: Hampshire, England | East Meon, Hampshire, England | East Meon Hundred, Hampshire, England | Meonstoke Hundred, Hampshire, England | Petersfield Rural, Hampshire, England | East Hampshire District, Hampshire, England