Place:East Lothian (council area), Scotland

Watchers
NameEast Lothian (council area)
TypeUnitary authority
Coordinates55.55°N 2.45°W
Located inScotland     (1996 - )
See alsoEast Lothian, Scotlandcounty abolished 1975 which covered most of the area of East Lothian Council Area
Lothian, Scotlandregion covering East Lothian 1975-1996


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

East Lothian, is one of the 32 council areas of Scotland, and a lieutenancy area. It borders the City of Edinburgh, Midlothian and the Scottish Borders. Its administrative centre is Haddington, although its largest town is Musselburgh. East Lothian is also the name of registration county, which has different boundaries to the council area.

The council area was created in 1996, under the Local Government etc. (Scotland) Act 1994, with the boundaries of the East Lothian district of the Lothian region. The district had been created in 1975, under the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973, and it consisted of the local government county of East Lothian, until 1921 called Haddingtonshire, plus the burgh of Musselburgh and the Inveresk district council area, including the villages of Wallyford and Whitecraig, all formerly within the county of Midlothian.

When abolished, for local government purposes, in 1975, the county of East Lothian bordered the county of Midlothian to the west, and the county of Berwick to the south.

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at East Lothian. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.