East Kilbride is a large suburban town in South Lanarkshire in Scotland. It is also designated as Scotland's first new town on 6 May 1947. The area lies on high ground on the south side of the Cathkin Braes, about 8 miles (13 km) southeast of Glasgow and close to the boundary with East Renfrewshire.
The town is enclosed by the White Cart River to the west and the Rotten Calder to the east, the latter flowing northwards to join the River Clyde near Cambuslang. This area was previously the site of the small village of East Kilbride, prior to its post-war development.
The town of East Kilbride had a population of 73796 in 2001 (the last census available).
Refer to East Kilbride parish for references for parish records, vital records since 1855, and censuses, as well as details on the immediately surrounding area.